Monday, February 4, 2013

A New Beginning Killer Set Up

A Roy Burns shot in Part V
After watching Friday the 13th: Part V, A New Beginning the other day I payed close attention to certain scenes (more particularly the one's with Roy) to see if I could pick out subtle nuances with the character that was trying to hint at Roy being the killer. I have always said that without knowing that Roy is the killer it is literally impossible to tell that he was the killer or even was to be a suspect. Watching the movie as a child for the first time I did not suspect Roy, Tommy, Victor, Junior or anyone else. I suspected Jason.




Dick Wieand stated that the direction was indeed to try and give off hints that Roy was the killer and other than certain score cues by Harry Manfredini, I spotted a back shot of Roy that reminded me a lot of a shot in Part III when Jason was stalking Harold and Edna. There's actually a few times this shot of Jason is used in Part III, though. I am quite sure it was not intentional to shoot Roy at this angle to try and give a nod to the shots of Jason in Part III, but it sure did make me feel it.

Jason Voorhees watches Edna Hockett in Part III

2 comments:

  1. First time watching the movie I had no idea Roy was the killer, but AFTER you watch it the first time, there are little hints implicating the Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna go out on a limp here -- no joke, either -- the first time watching it, after the initial disappointment, I pretty much went back one more time & saw it all. I had little to no trouble myself, with my old mid '90s super shit VHS copy from Suncoast fucking piece of shit Video (fuck those over-charging bastards by the way), about the "who-done-it?" aspects to the film.

    It is somewhat interesting as it almost harkens back to the Giallo-like aspects of the first somewhat underrated installment from Sean Cunningham.

    ReplyDelete